Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sourdough Chronicles

Around this time last year, I began an ill-fated foray into the world of sourdough.  I did too much research and was frozen into inaction by the overabundance of conflicting source material.  This time around, I just went about it in as hasty and unprepared a fashion as I could.  So we'll see how this one turns out!
I started with a pack of sourdough starter which we purchased in the tourist section of Target, and a great big glass jar we bought at Habitat.  (All the directions would say is stoneware or glass, and given a choice I will generally go for glass - I like to see what is going on.)

I threw in the starter, 2 cups of flour, and 2 cups of warm water, as directed.

See how much stuff is unmixed?  That's why I like glass.


Then I mixed it with a wooden spoon.  The directions say metal won't work - which made me wonder if that was malarky or really true, and if it is true, why?  Is it like how fairies die when you touch them with steel?  Inquiring minds want to know.


Then the directions said to cover it up with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, which I did, even though the jar I bought has a lid.  So my next steps are to stir twice a day and wait, and then cook delicious things with my new sourdough. 
     However, as simple as that sounds, this is possibly my 3rd or 4th attempt to make sourdough (as mentioned in an earlier post) and those other attempts were not successful.  So we'll see.  My previous efforts may have been hindered by my tendency to overthink.  Let's see what underthinking will do for me!

No comments: